Monday, August 14, 2006

Bohemia Rhapsody

Saturday was our mom’s birthday. Friday evening at around 10:30 I got a text from my younger brother, asking us if we were game to go to this Czechoslovakian restaurant in Angeles, Pampanga. He had eaten there before and was excited for the rest of us to try it out. It was so spur-of-the-moment that I said: Sure, game! I’m really that kaladkarin.

Saturday morning we were at the North Expressway, where they have this strict anti-overloading campaign: cars that are overloaded are forcibly stopped and the excess passengers are made to ride a separate bus which will take them to whatever exit toll gate they’re supposed to go. We saw two of these buses, and what really cracked us up was the huge sign on its side: ANTI-OVERWEIGHT MOBILE UNIT. Good thing the people riding in it were not fat. Too bad I wasn’t able to take a picture of that bus.

We arrived at the restaurant at close to 1pm. There was only one other customer—an American eating at the al-fresco area. We chose to stay in the air-conditioned area.

They served bread and cheese while we waited. We ordered two kinds of appetizers, smoked ham and herring, both served with crackers. My mom loved the fish; “Parang kinilaw,” she declared. That is, if kinilaw were served with mayo instead of vinegar. My nephew, being more carnivorous, attacked and finished the smoked ham.

The sausages were terrific. I would have preferred spicier ones, but I guess not too many people share my spicy taste. The roasted potatoes though were the killer—with just the right amount of burnt sides, I couldn’t help shoveling them into my mouth even as my mind was screaming, “Death to carbs!” The sauerkraut was also excellent. The schnitzels were well done with just the right amount of breading, not too thick or too thin.

The prices are actually quite reasonable; I could imagine them opening a branch in Makati in the future. But in the meantime, one has to drive all the way to Angeles, near the entrance to Clark. It’s a relaxed drive, given the improved NLEX highway.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?